Would you like to work from home building websites?
We’re going to talk about building a freelance web design business in this article, but keep in mind that learning how to freelance web design is a skill that can be applied to many location independent work options including coaching, consulting, accounting, article writing, SEO, graphic design and much much more. Apply the lessons of this article to your unique situation, skill set, and passions.
Why people fail to start freelancing
Many aspiring freelancers fail before they start. A big part of it is that they don’t start at all. One of the biggest problems with new freelance businesses getting off the ground is fear. Fear, anxiety, and doubt must be dealt with before you start freelancing if you want to survive. This is especially hard for people who come from a stable job situation, even if they’re unhappy with their current work situation and are desperately searching for a work-from-home or work-from-anywhere alternative.
The top 10 freelancing fears
- Fear of being unqualified
- Fear of not being able to earn enough income
- Fear of being judged by family and friends
- Fear of rejection
- Fear of not being able to run a location independent business
If you want to move from away from these fears, adjust your thinking
- I don’t have to be the best in the world; I just have to know more and be able to help my client. I’m confident I can deliver real value to someone in need of my help.
- The risk of remaining in a job I dislike or in an industry dependent on current market conditions is actually more risky to my physical health and financial future.
- My family and friends are entitled to their opinions. I’ll make new friends who support entrepreneurship and the way of the freelancer.
- Some clients will reject my offer, and that’s their loss. Maybe they’re just not ready for what I offer, and that’s OK. Others will reject my services because my skills aren’t up to their needs yet. That’s OK. I’ll get there. And they’ll come around. If they don’t there’s plenty more people and businesses just like them that will need me.
- I’m ready to learn how to work from home and provide my own motivation. I’ll learn skills as I need them like time management and accounting. I don’t need a boss to manage all that for me.
If you want to learn how to freelance web design from scratch, start here
Step 1 Build a WordPress website from scratch for yourself. Have fun with this. Just pick a topic that interests you or build the foundation for a personal blog website. Just buy a domain name and web hosting from Bluehost and get started. You can learn how to build a WordPress website in a weekend for FREE here. Congratulations! You now know more about building websites than 99% of the world’s population. Simply put, you have a marketable skill that can be sold.
Step 2 Build a website that explains your services and tells people who you are. People want to do business with real people, so don’t skimp on revealing your personality and what you’re life interests are. Put the website you built in Step 1 on a portfolio page. Don’t worry. You’re portfolio will grow with time. It’s cliche, but never forget that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Be humble. Just start walking.
Step 3 Announce your status as a freelance WordPress web designer to your friends, colleagues, and other contacts. Offer your services online in places like craigslist and your local newspaper’s classifieds. Offer to trade your services to get some momentum in the beginning. For example, you could exchange some website services for a serious amount of food from a farmer in your region.
Step 4 Take great care of your new clients. Be honest about your abilities. Improve your craft over time. Create and document efficient systems as you go and leverage tools like Freshbooks for invoicing, time tracking, and estimates. Have fun!
Step 5 Repeat Steps 1-4.
Good luck on your freelancing journey!
If you’re a parent who needs to earn income, but wants to be closer to home with more flexible hours, learning how to freelance web design is an invaluable skill. Many parents have made the switch from traditional jobs to location independent entrepreneurship and sometimes passive income entrepreneurship. Freelancing can be a vital step if that’s your goal. Learning how to freelance wen design is a great place to begin freelancing.