Ever wondered how to write a book in a weekend?
Self publishing on Amazon is not as complicated as you may think. I’ve done it. I wrote a book and published it to Amazon in under 2 days. Click here to see the book on Amazon. If you enjoyed the recent post on how to become a freelance writer, you’re going to like this one too.
Part of the mission here at the Unconventional Parents Community is to help parents unlock their creative potential, help others, and support their family with additional income generated from product creation.
If you’re going to write a book in a weekend and publish it for sale on Amazon you’ll need to adjust your expectations:
- Your book isn’t going to be the next international best selling epic novel.
- This isn’t going to be your best possible book; it’s going to be your first book.
- The perfect cover design, fonts, and page formatting will need to wait for your next book.
Benefits of self publishing on Amazon
- After you do it once, you’ll no longer have a sense of anxiety or overwhelm when it comes to the craft of writing and the technical details involved in self publishing.
- The very act of writing a book helps you refine your ideas around a given topic.
- This could be the only book you write, and your intention could be to use the book as your “business card,” showcasing your expertise and thought leadership.
- Most self published books don’t make a lot of money, but there are other benefits including promoting your other projects, a sense of accomplishment, and discovering skills you’ll use again in your ventures creating other products.
Get ready to write a book in a weekend
Pick your two day block and commit. Brainstorm your book’s subject matter. Choose a fun topic that you have a lot of experience and expertise in. Don’t take yourself too seriously. This is more like an experimental art project than your life’s greatest work. For this project we’re going to focus on the quote book model. These will be quotes or big ideas original to you. Your book will be like the Tao Te Ching. Think powerful messages spread across 80 – 100 pages. Approach the project as if you’re reaching out to one ideal member of your book’s target audience.
Day 1: How to write a book
- Go to Create Space and download the 6 x 9 formatted interior template
- Write your book directly into the template, removing the sample text as you go. If you were writing a book about parenting tips for example, each page would be a big idea, strategy, or technique around helping parents succeed. One to five sentences on a page is not too short. It’s powerful ideas and helpful content that matters more than page length.
- Add all miscellaneous pages like the title page, dedication, table of contents, about the author, etc.
- Proofread and edit your book interior.
- Save it as a PDF.
Day 2: Self publishing on Amazon
- Sign up for a Create Space account here.
- In the Authors area, click on “Start a title for free.”
- Go through all the steps, which include creating your books cover with their free cover creator software, uploading your interior PDF, assigning the ISBN number (the Create Space ISBN is free), picking your books price, ordering a proof copy, and setting up how you will be paid.
It’s really that simple. Just follow the steps in the Create Space process. In many of the publishing steps you’ll face offers for paid editing services, paid graphic design services for your cover, and paid ISBN numbers. You can get through this whole process without spending any money. Keep it simple. And avoid perfectionist tendencies.
If you treat this project as an experiment and as a skill building exercise, you can get through this whole process in under a weekend.
Good luck and enjoy the process!
If you get stuck or have any questions along the way, let me know in the comments.